Monday, June 20, 2011

Our 302k fun run...

or other possible titles:
Holy Crap that was hard...
Did I really do that?
What was I thinking?
I think my toenails are falling off...

Steve and I both ran the Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay this last weekend.  It was definitely one of the more difficult things I've ever done, but also one of the most rewarding.  I ran 3 legs: 4 miles, 3.8 miles, and 4.2 miles.  I had the easiest portion of the relay, and I am not a runner.  In fact, I despise running.  Our team started at 5:30 am Friday morning and we finished around 4:30 pm Saturday.  You basically run, snack, sleep a little, run some more, snack a little more, sleep a little, and then run some more.  It was pure misery and I loved every minute of it!

Things that got me through:
Steve with water
a very encouraging support team
beautiful scenery
singing out loud while running (it helps, really it does!)
encouragement from all the runners that blew past me

Music that got me through:
Maroon 5
Plain White Ts
Better than Ezra

Thoughts that got me through:
I can do anything I put my mind to
I love a good challenge
I will not stop moving
I can sleep/eat/pee when I get home

Things I'm proud of:
I ran the entire first 4 miles and actually felt pretty good and could have gone more if necessary
I never stopped.  Even when I needed to power walk, I kept moving as fast as I could
I didn't swear
I felt genuinely happy for every runner and wanted them to succeed

Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat.  I'm really hoping that my back problems will go away (and the rest of my aching body will get better!)  We're looking forward to next year!


 Van 2: Steve, Ben, me, Andrew, Rachel, and Ashli

 Em made us the cutest card and wrote the greatest poem.  I hung it in the car so we could enjoy it throughout the weekend.

My first hand-off, I was completely physically ill at this point worrying about surviving!  This run was 4 miles through Liberty.  That it such a beautiful area. 




My night run started around 10:00 pm at the East Canyon Reservoir and went uphill for 3.8 miles.  It was tough.  I couldn't run the entire way, but I did run most of it.  





My final run went through Heber City for 4 miles.  My hip was really bothering me so I ran the first mile or so, then walked/ran the next 2 miles, then ran the final mile.  


These signs are either your best friend or worst enemy!  You either think "I still have one mile to go" and you feel totally defeated, or "Wahoo!  Only one mile!"  When I saw this sign, I gave it a high-five and pushed through the pain in my hip and ran the final mile.  Such a good feeling.

Steve ran what's known as "The Ragnar".  It is a very steep, 4 mile climb up Guardian Pass.  He rocked it, no surprise, right?  I couldn't believe he was able to do it.  I'm not sure I could have even walked it!


 Total understatement.



 That's him running up the hill.





 We came from the bottom of this valley to the top of the mountain - beautiful!

 There were a lot of funny vehicles along the route.  This one cracked me up - so true!




These are some of our other teammates.  The only thing I didn't like about the experience is that half of your team is in a different van and you don't really spend any time with them until the finish line.  By then, you're all so exhausted and ready to go home that it isn't much fun.



192 miles, no shower, no substantial meals, porta-potties, very little sleep, stinky bodies, messy car, pain.  Miserably good times!

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I think Adam Levine could get me through anything. I have a super crush on him since The Voice.

Reading this makes me want to do it next year. SOOOOO cool. I have to figure out a way to do it.

sarah louise said...

You guys are seriously awesome! Steve is very humble about it, but anyone who can run the ragnar leg is totally amazing!!!

The Crookston Fam said...

I totally loved this post! I'm glad that you had a good time despite the misery and want to do it again! :)

Karen said...

Good job Ang. I volunteered this year and I love the positive group atmosphere of the whole thing. One day I will run it... I'm just not sure when that will be yet ;)

Diane said...

Ang....your post is so timely. I am coming out from July4-Aug 4. Brian (my bro) wants me to run the Mt. Nebo loop relay with him and his team July 29th. I am scared to death, but want to do it to say I did it. I need to keep in mind all the tips you blogged about. Way to go! I am super impressed. I am worried I can't do it, but so want to.
You are my hero for the day...and possibly while I run my legs.